Sleeping Through the Night

10:27 AM

I know it's one of the hardest things to get a baby to sleep when you want and sleep through the night.
Disclaimer, I am not a baby expert. I happened to do this with my son and it seemed to work pretty well. I'd like to give you some tips to get baby to sleep though the night.

1. Start Baby in Crib
- I know it's a difficult thing to do. Most people have cosleepers or bassinets so the baby can sleep in your room. I completely understand why most people would want to do that. Being close to the baby is important however, then they develop a need to always have you around.
Having the baby sleep in their own bed since day 1 is important. They grow independence. Also, I suggest having them be in the crib every time they go to sleep. That includes nap time as well.

2. Sleep Routine
- I don't like the word schedule. It turns into "all about the times". Babies make their own schedule. One night they want to go to bed at 10pm then the next night it happens to be 4 hours earlier. They also wake up as they please. Having a routine lets them know its bed time no mater what time it is. This works well when day light savings time comes. My personal bed time routine is...
Bath
Read a book
Feed
Swaddle
Rock to sleep (until drowsiness)

3. Put Baby to Bed Awake
-When putting your baby to bed already sleeping they don't realize the bed is where they are suppose to sleep. When they are getting drowsy, they know they're in their crib and they grow accustom to being there as well as associate the crib with sleeping. Upon waking, baby knows where they are and can easily fall back asleep without you being there.

4. Give Familiar Toy
-I know this one sounds odd but it has really seemed to help. We have a stuffed animal attached to a pacifier that we call Elli. After I've laid my son in bed, we hand him Elli. He holds her and it comforts him enough to fall asleep on his own.


Of course, do what works best for you. I have no idea what I'm doing half the time, anyway. I wish you the best. I started this when we first brought him home and we got him to finally sleep through the night at 6 weeks.

Happy sleeping!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Follow by Email